27 January 2012

-originally written on 9/16/11 and not published because?  I have no idea...

The temperature outside this morning was 46 degrees.  Yesterday as the cold front was moving in we had rain followed by cloudy skies for the rest of the day.  Those beautiful deep gray textured skies that, when contrasted with the lush, nourished fields make my heart sing.  Many of my closest friends and family are mourning the end of summer and the heat that goes with it, but not I. 

I am happily pulling my sweaters out of hibernation.  I am relishing the silence of a house without fans and air contitioners running.  I am soaking up the cool, fresh air outside.  And I am snuggling under my blankets to sleep more peacefully.  I am happy.

Fall has long been my favorite time of year.  I don't enjoy the heat of summer, for one thing.  Baking in the hot sun is a sure-fire recipe for a headache and I can't sleep when I'm hot.  Spring is nice but fall does not bring with it the overwhelming itching and sneezing that interferes with my life from April through July.  As for winter, I enjoy snow days when I can stay home, play some nice music, and bake something.  Other than that, not so much.
Fall is perfect.  The deep blue skies are beautiful, often featuring big, puffy clouds floating lazily.  It's the time of year when nature puts my favorite colors on display.  Along with the blue of the skies, the gold of the corn, the green of the fields, and the brilliance of the fall leaves give my eyes much to feast on.  Is it a coincidence that I happen to look best in fall colors?  I don't think so. 

(photo taken fall 2008)
My two favorite people in their matching camo sweatshirts,
my little one so proud to be like his Daddy. 

No comments: